Monday, July 13, 2015

Mom, Score One.

Sometimes I experience Mom Fails. Like the time I attacked a Nickelodeon character's likeness. And the time I drowned out the sounds of a giant tantrum with the sounds of Ted Nugent. Sometimes the Fails just...flow. So when I experience a Mom Win, recording it for posterity is an absolute must. I have to be able to prove that it happened.

Always a silly one
So last week, I decided to take us to Taylor's Falls to visit Interstate State Park, see the Glacier potholes, and walk along the St. Croix river. Pushback to this idea at its first mention was surprisingly minimal; usually when I announce an excursion to the park or a playground or a walk for Addie, Cecilia goes willingly but I have to drag Ellen almost forcibly from whatever book she's reading. Well, giant holes in cliffs formed by 10,000-year-old ice melt have more of a draw than swings and slides.

There are so many wonderful things about the experience of bringing my girls to impressive nature sites. I get to capture them in great pictures (*pats self on back for remembering fancy camera*).

This was the time Celie was scared
I get to watch them actively overcome a fear. at the beginning of the trek, Celie needed me to hold her through our descent into the Bake Oven (named for the shape of the entrance to the pothole). On the way back she led the pack with a "remembuh it's a little syippery down there." (I'm quoting her phonetically of course].

I get to see my 36-year-old increasingly creaky self next to their light, effortless selves. Time slows down for a bit and their grown-up years feel very far away.

I get to hear things like "I punched my fear of heights in the face" (Ellen), and "this is my favorite spot in the world next to Mall of the 'Merica [Celie, phonetically]/the library [Ellen]," and I get to say things like "don't run too far
ahead - your sister is still enjoying the Bottomless Pit."

The top of the cliff
I get to kiss my Ellen at the top of the tallest cliff she could climb, because she asked me. That's like a Win WITHIN a Win.
She's climbin'

Fantastic morning. Completely worth the tiny "I don't wanna GO" meltdown we suffered through when the time came to hit the road.
They're mine - can you believe it?

2 comments: