Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hearts Grow Fonder

Last week Dave and I escaped for a quick getaway to Phoenix along with Ellen’s godfather, our friend-who-is-really-more-like-family, Pat.  Hot-tubs, margaritas, reading eight magazines and getting halfway through a new book, finding a new show to love on HGTV, sleeping so soundly that my location in Arizona took a good 10 seconds to register when my eyes first opened in the morning, and waking up when I was good and ready and not due to anything or anyone beeping, crying, or shouting “COCK-A-DOODLE-DOO MOM” into her monitor – those were the highlights.   
Ellen and Cecilia stayed with Dave’s parents, and my mother-in-law Becky sent several pictures of the girls’ mini-vacay.  Here they are, waving to us:
 

Upon our return, the babysitting report was good – apparently there were just a few tough moments which involved Ellen crying and declaring “I miss my pawents!”  We’re soaking up the fact that we are so missed when we’re away, and that we get a rip-roaring welcome when we return.  Ellen delivered her famous “running hug” to both of us multiple times, demonstrating a tireless need to remind us that she loves us – seriously, since each running hug involves carefully backing up to the perfect spot and going full-steam into the arms of the waiting recipient.  And when I first took Cecilia to give her a big hug after five days away, she immediately put her little head on my shoulder, snuggled right in, and didn’t move for a good 120 seconds.  I sort of dread the day when there isn’t such pain when we’re away, and such joy when we return.     

1 comment:

  1. Love this! L just had her first sleepover at my parents and I felt the same thing. Oh, so nice to be loved! Sigh and Gulp!

    ReplyDelete